On October 19th, 2004, Hip-hop legend Roxanne Shante filed a lawsuit against Janet Jackson, claiming her voice was sampled without permission on Janet’s Damita Jo album.
- The song “Like You Don’t Love Me” contains a sampled clip of Shante’s voice saying “so fresh.”
- Shante said she only contemplated the lawsuit after a representative for Jackson called her and said it wasn’t her voice that was sampled.
- Shante, who has owned the masters to her own recordings for almost a decade, said this wasn’t the first time she’d had to deal with sample clearances.
- The words have been used in countless hip-hop songs and have appeared on popular break-beat vinyl compilations.
- Most people assume the words come from Biz Markie’s “Nobody Beats the Biz,” which also sampled the original record.
- Still Breast Cancer Awarness Month #FreshForTheCause
Noon: Legends at Noon #BeeAlert
2p est: #TheExperience with the Supafunkregulata Celo (DC)
3p est: Dailed In with DJ Mr Cham
4p est: Eargams with DJ Jaycee (Detroit/Atl)
5p est: Fresh Radio Mixtape with DJ Bee (Philly/VA/SMC)
6p est: Tribe LIVE from the House Of Blues